Friday, January 13, 2012

The lost (and found) memory

I thought I lost them for good. I could not even find the negatives (yes, back then we received the negatives) so I knew I could not reprint the pictures.  One fine day, as I was going through my personal box (1 out of dozens of boxes..haha..bila nak re-organise pun tak tau la), I found my graduation pictures! Finally!

I feel so attached to the pictures because it's proof that, while you may not do good in school, a person may be able to bloom during the Uni years or even during the career period.

To reflect back, I had a tough time in school. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was in one of the best boarding schools (sekolah berasrama penuh) known as Sekolah Seri Puteri, SSP for short. Tapi during my years there..I didn't really feel the connection with the school and you know, how things worked. I hated schedules. I disliked the preparatory classes (every afternoon from 3-4.30pm and from 8pm to 10.30pm). The prep class was supposed to be the time and place for us students to complete our homework and do revisions you see. I didnt like it.



I became such a pemalas. I don't know why. Every year I asked my mum to changed schools and go back to Shah Alam..tapi mum being mum, tak bagilah. PMR trial result was disastrous. Actual result - a shocker. Ingat tak lepas. 7As 1B. Memang tak jangka because I was not a good student back then. English je ok because I loved the subject.


SPM. Trial result telah membuatkan I dipanggil masuk bilik meeting. Face to face with the teachers alongside other students yang 'performed' like me. Kena sound dengan cikgu-cikgu yang were disappointed with us. Not too sure if I was like a lost cause back then. At an SBP..you are expected to perform, that's why you were selected to be there in the first place. Tu yang made me felt so pressured.


Result day - The discipline teacher (who was famous for looking garang and was very stern) came to me and said this sentence that I remember till today ' Tunku, you are a miracle.' Then she walked away. :) From Sijil Am Pelajaran (SAP) aggregate 26 to Grade 1 Aggregate 11..siapa sangka? I really pushed myself the last 3 weeks towards SPM. And I walked away happy and selamat dari kena kejar mummy dengan penyapu.. :) 

In University..I guess learning add maths in English and other subjects made it easier for me to comprehend. Gambar ni is very very precious to me because I know I can do wonders. Only 3 of us walked away with the sash on that day.  Simpan ni..boleh jadi contoh dekat future children. InsyaAllah. :)

Moral of the story - if you don't do well in school, there will always be a chance to redeem yourself either in Uni or during your working/career period. Don't lose faith. 'Forget about the consequences of failure. Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.'
 -Denis Waitley-
I wished they had let us keep the sash. Would have paid for it :)  6 semesters of Dean's List and finally Anugerah Naib Canselor (what is it in English..not too sure). This was not without a lot of stressful times, sweat, determination and prayers.



No comments: